Los Angeles Junk Removal
The City of Los Angeles encourages you to recycle your bulky items by donating them to charitable organizations or thrift stores. However, if you are unable to do so, the Department of Public Works Bureau of Sanitation (BOS) will pick-up large or bulky household items, such as mattresses, couches, and other furniture. Review the information below about bulky item collection/disposal services, or visit the Bureau of Sanitation (BOS) website to find more detailed information.
Please note: BOS does not collect automotive parts, construction material, commercial waste or cardboard, yard trimmings and household hazardous waste such as paint, medicine or fluorescent lights as bulky item collections.
Household Appliances (White Goods)
- Large metal and household appliances such as refrigerators washers dryers and dishwashers (also knows as “white goods”) are collected from all residents serviced by the City of Los Angeles free of charge.
- When discarding a refrigerator remember to remove or safely secure the door shut with rope or duct tape to prevent accidents.
- To make arrangements to have these items collected please call the L.A. Sanitation Customer Care Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (800) 773-2489, at least one day before your regular collection day. Please have an itemized list ready when calling in your request.
- White goods are collected the same day as your trash collection day.
- Collection services are provided for household refuse, yard trimmings, recyclables, dead animals, excessive brush, electronic waste, and bulky items from residents serviced by the City of Los Angeles.
- For more information, please call the L.A. Sanitation Customer Care Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (800) 773-2489. Please have an itemized list ready when calling in your request.
S.A.F.E. Centers: Permanent Collection Centers
- There are several permanent collection sites throughout the city known as S.A.F.E. (Solvents/Automotive/Flammables/Electronics) Centers open every weekend to provide a timely and convenient way to dispose of your waste.
- Additionally, the Bureau of Sanitation (BOS) sponsors periodic mobile collection events throughout the city where residents can drop-off their waste to be disposed properly.
- Items accepted include: paint and solvents; automotive fluids; cleaning products; batteries and E-waste such as computers or TVs.
- Items not accepted include: business waste, ammunition, explosives, radioactive material, biological waste and bulky items such as furniture or refrigerators.
For Apartments & Condos
- Bulky item collection is provided for residents of apartment complexes of five units or more, regardless of whether or not they receive regular refuse collection by the City of Los Angeles.
- Bulky items are household furniture like sofas, refrigerators, mattresses, as well as electronic waste like televisions and computer monitors.
Report Illegal Dumping
- Illegally dumped items are unclaimed material which are deposited at the curbside, in alleys, in cul-de-sacs and common refuse collection areas located in apartment complexes.
- Items such as bulky items/white goods will be referred to the appropriate district yard and scheduled for collection on the next regular collection day for the area.
- Questionable items will be field checked by the BOS and the district will take the necessary steps to assure proper collection.
- Please note these special circumstances related to illegal dumping: For illegal dumping on vacant lots or enforcement of illegal dumping laws on lots or private property, please contact the Bureau of Street Services (BOSS). To report illegal dumping in progress between 7:00 am - 4:00 pm call the BOSS Enforcement Division: (213) 847-6000. After hours call: (877) ASKLAPD.